RE: [cpx] CPX Bug Question & Comment

Scott Wiersdorf wrote on 6/12/2007 11:35:06 AM:

> That said, if I recall the problem correctly, the problem could be
> mitigated somewhat by replacing all the '@daily' entries with some
> randomized hours and minutes. Also, if savelogs isn't using a graceful
> restart, it should be.

Hi Scott,

	I almost forgot this was your list.  :)  There's actually an
issue with the graceful restart, at least on our MPS3, that I posted on
the vps3 list...Apache starts up the new processes but the old ones are
stuck in "gracefully finishing" status, per the server-status report.
So multiple graceful restarts will eventually use up memory and
processes.

> The longer term solution would be to have savelogs be able to lump a
> bunch of logfiles and do one restart, but this would likely require a
> rewrite of the savelogs config file parser and some reworking of CPX's
> interaction with it.

	It depends if the option needs to be "rotate selected log files"
vs. "rotate all log files" which it already does.  I'm not sure why
someone would want only some log files rotated, but if that were the
case I think ApacheLogExclude could be used to skip some.  I think one
of the earlier messages was my suggestion to use SuexecUserGroup to
determine the user to whom savelogs would chown the logs.  I haven't
looked at the code to see if savelogs bothers parsing the httpd.conf
info into virtual hosts, but that would be necessary to tie the log to
the SuexecUserGroup.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Cats - the other white meat.