Re: [cpx] Re: [vps2] I can't use my control panel...

OK, this is extremely strange, and no one is going to believe it... I have had this slow CPX problem since CPX was installed. I have rebooted the server for other reasons and it made no difference.

I asked one friend to try it with my existing user/pass combo and he had the same problem... several times... 60 seconds and a timeout or you get logged in and the Totals: are all zero.

So, I decided to try another friend. I had a telnet session open, and changed the password. He tried with the new password and did get in, although in 40-50 seconds. He tried it again, and about the same... I had him run a speed test on his line (turns out it was a T1 line). So, I had him try it one more time.. he couldn't log in! The password did not work!

With my telnet session I tried to change the password, but the new password I changed it to didn't work, so of course I didn't get to type in the changed password. Well... that's pretty strange. and no, I didn't type it wrong!

So, I tried su to root, and that password did not work either! But I did NOT change it, and I am 100% sure I typed it correctly... Tried a couple times...

Then, all of sudden, the OLD password (original one) started working, although I did not change the password back... and I could su to root now! With the same password that failed before... Yes, I am not kidding...

Then just for the heck of it, I tried CPX again, with the old password. This time CPX came up in FIVE SECONDS! It has NEVER come up that fast since I have been using CPX. And all my domains, users, emails are all still there... (thank God) Four people reproduced that the CPX took 60 seconds before... and they tried it multiple times... Somehow in fiddling the SA password at the shell, CPX now works like a charm!

I even rebooted the server, and it still works... It has never worked for me before, and I have rebooted before...

So, I have NO idea what happened, nor how the password reverted back, and the root password (although unchanged) now worked rather than failed, and CPX response is fine.

I am not kidding... Everything seems wonderful, and CPX is faster than I have ever seen it...

If anyone has ANY idea what might have happened I'd love to here it... I can only guess that changing the SA password some how triggered something, but I can't imagine what or how... and the SA password is back to what it always was...

I'm been developing software for 25 years, and I have never seen anything as strange as this...

So, everything seems to be wonderful !!! I'll try it again tomorrow just to be sure...

If anyone can explain this, I'll fly out to where you are, and buy you a beer!

Bill