Re: [cpx] Mail System Administrator

Scott Flinders a écrit :
Hello all,
Let me start with a quick introduction. I am a fairly new product manager at Verio, and, among my responsibilities, is the CPX control panel. Based on feedback from customers, we are currently working on a project to improve and streamline the VPS and MPS mail system. I have spoken with many customers already about what they like and dislike in the current system. I'd also like to reach out to this list and get your feedback. The main suggestions I've heard so far regarding the mail system are - improve performance of the mail system - allow end users to go directly to the webmail client without requiring them to go through CPX
- improve/replace the current webmail client to make it more feature rich and improve the user experience

why not use an open source webmail and put your effort into providing patches to suits your needs ? roundcube or squirrel are allready there why reinvent the wheel and loose time here ?
- allow the primary VPS or MPS admin to delegate administration of the mail system (per domain) to another user (i.e., create a "mail system administrator")
if it also correct the more urgent (for me ) things like:

correct bugs that prevent user to change admin quota
correct the logrotation system that ruin the server each night (too many processes error) correct the behavior of the spam and AV (pop account NEVER go to Trash or Quarantine...)
correct the speed of the CPX that is really too slow
provide a way to export/import setting from one cpx to another when we move domains

then go for it :)
We are addressing all of these issues, but the last one in particular has brought up some good questions as we seek an appropriate design. If any of you on this list are among those that would like to delegate administration of the mail system to another user, please tell me if you would want the user with mail system administration rights to be able to - add users? (If so, should they only be able to add them as email users, or should they be able to manage all user attributes such as ftp access rights, overall disk quota (as opposed to mailbox quota only), etc.?)
email admin only had to touch email settings nothing else but also the setting domain wise.
- authenticate to any user mailbox (without knowing or modifying the user's password)?
that could be usefull
 - change users' passwords?
yes
 - configure SpamAssassin and ClamAV settings?
 - manage virtmaps?
 - manage "catchalls" (wildcard mappings)?
 - manage aliases?
yes
 - manage server-level autoresponders?
server level auto responders ? i dont see what it is but if it is beyond a domain they cannot /shouldn't touch it
 - adjust MX, TTL settings?

no need at all. Domain admin and email admin are separate. Most email admin does not know a damn thing about domain and this willl lead to major configuration problem.

I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks, Scott Flinders
Sr. Product Manager
Verio Inc.
For me speed and bug corrections are more important than new features. I do not need zillion of features if the basic features works. Right now i am using the command line to update quota each day..this is a basic feature that fails. when all is fixed then go for the new features.

--
Cordialement,
Ghislain