Re: [cpx] Log files

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 06:36:44AM -0600, Steve Yates wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:43:42 -0000
> "Bob Browning" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > CPX sets up log files in /usr/local/apache/logs/[account] and the virtual
> > host has a symbolic link to this  directory in www.
>
> > Does anyone know why it is set in this way?
>
> 	See the "Security Warning" section here:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/logs.html

Yes, this is correct. You'll never see CPX violating best security
practices, including moving live log files into a non-root directory.
This occasionally makes for some inconvenience (as you've discovered),
but there are workarounds to make it less painful.

> 	One idea I'd come up with (but haven't tried) was to pre-create
> links for
>
> ~/www/logs/domain-access_log.1.gz -> (real log file)
> ~/www/logs/domain-access_log.2.gz -> (real log file)
> etc.

This is a good idea worth trying, imo.

The other idea submitted by Jonathan was to copy log files into the
user's home directory; this will also work.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx