Re: [cpx] Log files

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:43:42 -0000
"Bob Browning" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CPX sets up log files in /usr/local/apache/logs/[account] and the virtual
> host has a symbolic link to this  directory in www.

> Does anyone know why it is set in this way?

	See the "Security Warning" section here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/logs.html

The symbolic link for ./logs is not as useful as it sounds, unless your
users have shell access and can read /usr/local/apache/logs/[account].
FTP is likely chrooted to the user's home folder so users can't go up a
level (or more) to get into /usr.

	One idea I'd come up with (but haven't tried) was to pre-create
links for

~/www/logs/domain-access_log.1.gz -> (real log file)
~/www/logs/domain-access_log.2.gz -> (real log file)
etc.

	Another issue with the log files in CPX is that CPX displays log
files that don't exist....if a virtual host uses a log file with a
non-standard name, CPX doesn't detect that and shows the wrong file name.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Confucius say: If you want pretty nurse, you got to be patient

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~