Re: [cpx] milestone chart

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:51:10PM -0700, Mark A. Sharkey wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Can you provide us with a milestone chart that outlines what feature
> enhancements are already being worked on, and when they should be
> completed.  And, also outline what the long term goals are for cpx?

I can't give you any timelines (we're still working on post-release
cleanup), but the most immediate strategic goal is to replace
iManager (i.e., we want to put our resources behind one control panel
and CPX was designed to be it). Rus will be dedicating most of his
time to CPX fixes and enhancements.

Longer term strategies include partial webmin functionality (e.g., the
significant system administration pieces) and backroom integration for
resellers (i.e., resellers logging into CPX will also tie in to the
ordering system, etc).

> Specifically, I'd like to know when I can expect the following features
> (these are not listed in any particular preference order - just the
> order in which they popped into my mind).

That's quite a list :)

I'll let you know what *I* want to do first:

> - filemanager capability
> - apache user authentication manager (password protect directories)
> - spamassassin configuration manager
> - spamassassin white/black list
> - ability for server admin to assign a login prefix (or suffix) to
> userid's that the domain admin creates
> - addressbook import/export feature
> - ServerAlias for domain setup
> - default homepage for domain setup
> - unzip tar archive with each domain setup

Most of these things could be done in the first half of next year.

Many of these other items are things we've mentioned, but have not yet
made a decision about them yet (either "if" or "when"). After the
previous list, the biggest thing would be to stabilize the API so you
resellers can write your own extensions. Good extensions we'd probably
(w/ permission) merge into our own source tree, since we know that
there are not a few good developers out there we'd like to leverage.
This should open up CPX to possibilities we haven't even thought of.

I can tell you that beginning next year, both Signature and CPX will
be receiving a lot more development resources than they have before.
This should provide much wider functionality improvements in less
time.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx