From: owner-cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Hess
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:27 PM
To: cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cpx] CPX Priorities

Hi Scott,

Any CPX development news is good news and it's been nice to see bugs
getting squashed already.

Your list is encouraging and I have one quick question. You mentioned
the new webmail client and junk mail handling. Will this also provide
the previously requested feature of automated junk mail folder cleaning
of mail older than 5 days... so Outlook and other mail users don't have
to remember to long in and clear junk mail - but they can go find a
message if captured accidentally?

Thank you,

Chris Hess
chris@xxxxxxxxxx
Outer Banks Internet, Inc.

	All,

	Thank you for your earlier responses to my request for input on
CPX
	features and bug fixes. Although somewhat later than I
anticipated, I
	wanted to get back to this group with an update on where things
stand.
	Based on your feedback and other customer research we have done,
here is
	a list of what we currently consider our top priorities. I have
broken
	this list into two sections:

	 - First is a list of items that should be completed and in
production
	by the end of 2007 (this is in addition to the work we have
already
	completed year-to-date such as SpamAssassin/ClamAV configuration
	managers, support for the Dovecot email server, consolidating
all
	platforms onto a single code base, and a host of defect fixes).
	 - Second is a list of top priorities (in a somewhat relative
order of
	expected delivery; but, as you know, things often change) that
we plan
	to focus on next year. Will all of these items be delivered next
year?
	Probably not. It's difficult to predict what will happen, but
with our
	increased staffing and emphasis on CPX, we anticipate making
some really
	good progress on this list.

	Changes that should be in production by the end of 2007

	 - Automatically add prefixes to new user IDs

	 - Support for multiple IP addresses
	 - Firewall configuration manager
	 - New, sleeker UI
	 - Defect fixes: task scheduling, memory leak

	Top CPX Priorities for 2008 and Beyond
	 - Mail system improvements

	   - New webmail client (Decoupled from CPX; drag and drop,
customizable

	interface; mail, calendar, spell check, junk mail handling;
upgrade to
	full collaboration suite)
	   - Mail system administrator role
	 - New UI design (delivered in stages)
	   - Usable by less-technical users; powerful enough for
advanced users
	   - Wizards for quickly and easily completing common tasks
	   - Manages bulk processes
	   - User-friendly URL (e.g. not case sensitive)
	 - New, centralized architecture
	   - Lightweight (no negative impact on server/system resources)
	   - Doesn't require a unique version of Apache
	   - CPX data stored outside of httpd.conf
	   - Easy to install/uninstall/reinstall
	 - Addresses different needs of various customer types
	   - Resellers/OEMs with multiple accounts
	   - Account owners
	   - Domain administrators
	   - Mail system administrators
	   - End users
	   - v1 customers with a "single user" paradigm
	 - Brandable
	   - Able to change logo and color scheme
	   - Able to add/remove functionality
	 - CPX operations built on top of platform operations
	 - Ability to support thousands of users and hundreds of
websites on a
	single account
	 - Application library (install, uninstall, configure)
	   - Supports/compatible with vinstalls
	   - Supports port installs/RPM installs
	 - System reporting and administration (some of this is already
in
	place)
	   - Display disk space and bandwidth usage
	   - Manage multiple IP addresses, virtual hosts/domains, cron
jobs,
	firewall
	   - Restart services (MySQL, Apache, etc.)
	   - Ongoing management/customization of server (C-Archive type
tool)
	 - Ongoing defect fixes

	Please note that some of your suggestions were quite specific
and have
	been rolled into larger categories. However, I have made note of
each
	specific request and will make sure they get looked at by our
team.

	Also, with the exception of the 2007 deliverables (which are
mostly
	complete and in final stages of testing) and the new webmail
client
	(which will be in production by early 2008), most of this list
is still

	open for discussion...which is why I wanted to get it in front
of you.
	Are we headed in the right direction? Is there anything major
we're
	still missing? Etc.

	Thanks,

	Scott Flinders
	Sr. Product Manager
	Verio Inc.

	This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>

	Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above
URL).