Re: [cpx] Mail System Administrator

Hi Scott,

Welcome and great to have the opportunity to communicate directly with you about CPX. I have sent many suggestions to Verio in the past about CPX improvements and bug fixes and only a very small number get addressed. Can you change this? Please read on for my comments - thank you.

So would this then be the hierarchy, if so I like it:
Server Admin
  - Domain Admin
    - Mail System Admin
       - User

The Mail System Admin would be very useful and would keep me from having to give the client access to an entire control panel, etc.

Most of our CPX logins are users wanting to check their mail so getting them directly to webmail instead of the control panel would be very helpful.

Mail System Admin -
- add users? (If so, should they only be able to add them as email users, or should they be able to manage all user attributes such as ftp access rights, overall disk quota (as opposed to mailbox quota only), etc.?) * I feel they should only be able add email users, I say leave that for the domain admin. As for the quota I'm a bit confused. - authenticate to any user mailbox (without knowing or modifying the user's password)?
* Yes
 - change users' passwords?
* Yes
 - configure SpamAssassin and ClamAV settings?
* Yes
 - manage virtmaps?
*Yes
 - manage "catchalls" (wildcard mappings)?
* No - they just cause problems
 - manage aliases?
* Yes
 - manage server-level autoresponders?
*A little confused on this one
 - adjust MX, TTL settings?
* No, not for the Mail System Admin. I'd just be happy if this was added to the Verio backroom but if your putting it into CPX than offer it to the Server Admin and let the Server Admin grant the rights to the Domain Admin. End it here.

One more BIG feature for CPX - Dealing with spam is and will continue to be a huge issue for everyone. Spamassassin works well as a basic solution but the big issue for my clients is that when they turn on spam filtering their employees fill up their quota with packed Junk and Quarantine folders - they always forget to empty them. It's important to keep the mail for several days incase the client needs to retrieve a message so several resellers have been asking for an option set in CPX to delete messages more than 5 days old (etc), this would finally solve this big problem.

Lastly, I like the response from Ghislain, fix existing bugs in CPX as soon as possible. I also like what Iris said, interesting.

Thank you and I look forward to further communication with you.

Chris Hess
chris@xxxxxxxxxx
Outer Banks Internet, Inc.

Hello all,

Let me start with a quick introduction. I am a fairly new product manager at Verio, and, among my responsibilities, is the CPX control panel. Based on feedback from customers, we are currently working on a project to improve and streamline the VPS and MPS mail system. I have spoken with many customers already about what they like and dislike in the current system. I'd also like to reach out to this list and get your feedback.

The main suggestions I've heard so far regarding the mail system are

 - improve performance of the mail system
- allow end users to go directly to the webmail client without requiring them to go through CPX - improve/replace the current webmail client to make it more feature rich and improve the user experience - allow the primary VPS or MPS admin to delegate administration of the mail system (per domain) to another user (i.e., create a "mail system administrator")

We are addressing all of these issues, but the last one in particular has brought up some good questions as we seek an appropriate design. If any of you on this list are among those that would like to delegate administration of the mail system to another user, please tell me if you would want the user with mail system administration rights to be able to

- add users? (If so, should they only be able to add them as email users, or should they be able to manage all user attributes such as ftp access rights, overall disk quota (as opposed to mailbox quota only), etc.?) - authenticate to any user mailbox (without knowing or modifying the user's password)?
 - change users' passwords?
 - configure SpamAssassin and ClamAV settings?
 - manage virtmaps?
 - manage "catchalls" (wildcard mappings)?
 - manage aliases?
 - manage server-level autoresponders?
 - adjust MX, TTL settings?

I appreciate your feedback.