Re: [cpx] [CPX] - httpd.conf with windows EOL -> cpx munch the cpx.conf

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:55:42AM -0400, Bill Meier wrote:
> You must be kidding... Apache works fine with httpd.conf with Windows or
> Unix line delimiters....

Yes, Apache is fine, but many other programs that use the Apache
config file and assume unix newlines don't work fine when this ^M
character (carriage return) is suddenly part of a string that
otherwise was supposed to be clean.

Perl, Python, Ruby, and even most C programs that work with Unix files
almost always assume that a newline character is the delimiter.
Versions of 'vi', 'more' and 'less' available on VPS sometimes show
the carriage return.

In short, carriage returns have no place in a Unix text file. When
they do find their way in there, we ought to have a way to detect it,
rather than break things. We'll look into it from our end, but y'all
need to know that enough things can break when that happens (that we
didn't write) to make your life as a reseller unhappy, so encourage
users to check that little "convert newlines" box (or whatever) in
their FTP client.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx