Re: [cpx] Wishlist: forgotten password

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:48:20 +0000
Harrison Hind <hhind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:57:43PM -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
> > 	I think what Bill's trying to say is that there is a large group
> > of end users who have their e-mail password "remembered" and have no
> > idea what it is 3 days after they typed it in.  If CPX put a "click me
> > to reset your password" link in the user's mailbox they could at least
> > retrieve that.
>
>   So if their password is reset then of what use is the old "remembered"
> password in retreiving their mail?

	No, no, the point was (as I understood it) that:

- I click on a "I forgot my password" link
- I receive an e-mail with a coded link that, when clicked, allows me to
change my password
- Now, since I just entered my new password, I know what it is.

	I'm not saying that *I* necessarily want this feature, I'm just
trying to further the discussion.  :)

>   I have no problem with requiring human intervention when someone forgets
> their password.  I do that with my clients and it tends to make them more
> careful and less likely to lose their password when they have to wait for
> me to reset it.

	A good point.  I also try to make a point of telling them that
we don't know the password, but we can change it.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~