Re: [cpx] Wishlist: forgotten password

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:57:43PM -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
> 	I think what Bill's trying to say is that there is a large group
> of end users who have their e-mail password "remembered" and have no
> idea what it is 3 days after they typed it in.  If CPX put a "click me
> to reset your password" link in the user's mailbox they could at least
> retrieve that.

  So if their password is reset then of what use is the old "remembered"
password in retreiving their mail?
  The next step would be to reset the password to be active after a fixed
time period (10 min?).  In any case, this road quickly leads to absurdity
that will cause more grief than what already exists.
  I have no problem with requiring human intervention when someone forgets
their password.  I do that with my clients and it tends to make them more
careful and less likely to lose their password when they have to wait for
me to reset it.

Harrison.

PS for the user to even log into CPX they need to know their password.
I'm not sure whether this thread is advocating a "reset my password
and email it to me" button on the (unauthenticated) login screen, but
the consequences of that are VERY obviously bad.