Re: [cpx] Wishlist: forgotten password

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:56:30 -0700
Rus Berrett <rberrett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Many other systems (eBay, other mailing lists, etc.) can not of course
> > provide you with a plain text password, but they do assign you a temporary
> > password (when you click on a URL) and then you get into a change password
> > dialog.
> >

> Yes, but when I signed up with eBay I provided an off-site e-mail
> address where I take my eBay correspondence... there is no equivalent to
> this in CPX.

	I think what Bill's trying to say is that there is a large group
of end users who have their e-mail password "remembered" and have no
idea what it is 3 days after they typed it in.  If CPX put a "click me
to reset your password" link in the user's mailbox they could at least
retrieve that.  One might argue the situation where a "bad guy" sitting
at a computer with a saved e-mail password could get that account's
password reset, I suppose.  But, "don't let bad guys use your computer"
ought to be the overriding rule.  :)

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Real programmers use COPY CON PROGNAME.EXE!

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~