From: owner-cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Norman R. Prevett
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:36 PM
To: cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cpx] cpx address book

Hi Brad:

In your post you say "The default email server for POP and IMAP is UW-IMAP for FreeBSD and Dovecot for Linux" and then later when talking about the vinstall you say "This vinstall will install the Dovecot email

server for FreeBSD or configure it to run as a stand-alone process for Linux."

Can you explain what the differences are in these two Linux
installation?

Brad Haymond wrote:
Jones,

Here is a message I posted to the ProviderTalk v3 list last week
regarding Dovecot and maildir recommendations and caveats:

"ProviderTalk,

By default, VPS and MPS accounts utilize the mbox email box format,
where all emails in a given "folder" are stored in the same file. The
default email server for POP and IMAP is UW-IMAP for FreeBSD and Dovecot
for Linux. Verio has recognized that the Dovecot email server provides
excellent features and performance. When these are coupled with the
maildir email box format (where each individual email is stored as a
separate file), performance is significantly improved.
Because of these improvements, we created the Dovecot vinstall. This
vinstall will install the Dovecot email server for FreeBSD or configure
it to run as a stand-alone process for Linux. It also converts all email
boxes from the mbox email format to maildir. Because of the key
performance improvements, Dovecot with maildir are the email server and
email box format recommended by Verio. As has been pointed out, you can
opt out of the conversion to maildir with the --mbox vinstall flag.
However, many of the performance improvements depend on the maildir
email box format.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when moving to Dovecot
with maildir. The initial conversion can take some time for extremely
large email boxes (containing tens of thousands of email messages).
Also, the conversion process requires that the VPS or MPS accounts are
using less than 95% of the account quota, and that individual users are
using less than 90% of their allotted user quota.
Another aspect to consider is that the actual location of the email
boxes and folders will change when converting to the maildir email
format. This may affect Procmail and other email program or filter
configurations. However, the vinstall will update the settings for email
filters and programs installed through vinstalls, such as CPX, ClamAV,
and SpamAssassin.
For customers using iManager, it is not compatible with the maildir
email box format.
There may also be other ancillary considerations depending on existing
individual configurations of your account. Keeping the above
considerations in mind, most VPS and MPS customers will see significant
performance improvements in CPX, Enhanced webmail, and most other email
and webmail clients, without experiencing troubles, by converting to
Dovecot and maildir. Verio encourages customers who are comfortable with
these caveats to consider moving to Dovecot with maildir.
Brad Haymond
Verio, Inc."

Dovecot is the default POP and IMAP email server for Linux VPS/MPS.
So, for Linux, the vinstall for the most part simply converts the email
boxes from the mbox format to the maildir email format.
Brad Haymond
Verio, Inc.