RE: [cpx] CPX - Junk and Quarantine Filling up

Art Zemon <> wrote on Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:23 AM:

> Yup. It's a huge problem. We are in the process of migrating all of
our
> hosting clients to a spam filtering service and shutting off the spam
and
> virus filtering on the hosting accounts. It works better, avoids
problems
> such as you are encountering, and increases our profits (always a nice
:-)

	I would second this...it came up the other day on the VPS2 list
as well.  Art, I don't know if your service facilitates reselling, but I
had made that offer on that list for ours, since most of the services
have a fairly high minimum number of accounts.  (if anyone is
interested, contact me off list).  It really does save a lot...the
number of SMTP connections per day on one of our servers (not real
active, but all domains use the service) has dropped from a few thousand
to a hundred or so, the majority of which are real messages.

	Archmbox works well for automatically pruning old messages.

	The default CPX method to quarantine the virus messages has
always seemed odd to me ("ok, customer, now you need to open all these
quarantined messages and see if they really are a virus") so we set our
servers to scan at the server level and deliver viruses to the dev-null
alias.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Engineer (n):  Machine for converting coffee into designs.

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~