Re: [cpx] Can I get CPX to add a mail server?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, AlpineWeb wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

Your question is difficult to address because there is confusion regarding user@xxxxxxxxxx, user@domain and mail.domain.org. Try using the same domain for all of these values.

It is also unclear why you would want to use mail.domain.org for mail to domain.org. It would make sense if you had domain.org and mail.domain.org on separate hosts but not if you are providing web and mail on the same host machine. Have you been using mail.some-domain.com domains for cosmetic reasons?

I have this habit of setting up a separate MX server for all domains that I host, just in case they ever need to be put on different servers. However, perhaps that is a practice that I just need to do away with.

In any event, the error message seems to indicate that the user has some incorrect settings, i.e.; user@xxxxxxxxxx vs. user@xxxxxxxxxx vs. mail.domain.org. It could also be an SMTP-AUTH problem so make sure they are enabling it in their e-mail client.

If you don't already have it you might want to get the Bat book (sendmail) from O'Reilly. It'll tell you everything you want to know about sendmail and then some. ;-)

I should.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jonathan