Re: [cpx] Vanity Domain / E-mail Only

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:56:42PM -0800, Ricardo Newbery wrote:

> I've done WebDAV setups before.  I'm assuming you are suggesting just
> setting up WebDAV access to the Domain Admin's web file space.  Okay,
> I guess that will work.  But ever try explaining WebDAV to your
> average non-webtech-savvy client?

Agreed--the explanation is a bit of overhead, but once setup it "just
works" (usually).

> Alternately, I guess I could also just set up yet another file
> management web app in addition to CPX but again... one more app to
> explain, train, and support.  This is the solution I'm currently
> leaning toward.
>
> A CPX integrated solution would be much easier to demonstrate and to
> train people how to use.

I also agree here; I'll be sure to pass my notes along to product
management.

> Okay... so, assuming this description of the CPX security model is
> accurate, let me try to suggest a possible solution.
>
> As a Server Admin, when you add a domain, you are given the option to
> assign the domain to a previously defined User.  This user then
> becomes the Domain Admin for that Domain.  A useful option here would
> be a second optional user field in case you want to assign a
> different user to 'own' the domain's web files from the user assigned
> to be the Domain Admin.  This makes it possible to assign the "manage
> web files" feature at domain creation time a bit more flexibly and
> also conveniently solves the quota allocation side issue at the same
> time.
>
> This option seems like it can be added without doing any violence to
> the CPX model.  Any thoughts?

Sure, but it would require more design changes that what I was
proposing, which is allow end users the ability to manage (as a new
"service" or "privilege") some of the same things that a domain admin
does.

For example, a DA can select a particular end user and grant them
"domain document root file manager" privs (or some easy-to-understand
phrasing) or grant them "domain email address management" so that the
end user can add/edit/remove email addresses using the email address
management tab, etc.

In any case, none of this has been designed yet; our UI team will be
looking at this as part of a future enhancement and decide what is
best.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx