Re: [cpx] Vanity Domain / E-mail Only

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:07:30PM -0800, Ricardo Newbery wrote:

> This is good to know.  Will this increased flexibility extend to
> allow the separation-of-roles configuration as discussed in an
> earlier post?
>
> To recap...
> I want to be able to set up a Domain Admin account that can log into
> CPX to do all the Domain Admin stuff *except* manage the domain's web
> space files and an end user account that owns/manages the web space
> files for the domain.  And I want to be able to disable Mail, FTP,
> and Shell privileges on the Domain Admin account while still allowing
> the account to grant these privileges to the end user accounts.
>

> Server Admin
>   |---- Domain Admin
>   |       |
>   |       |---- Domain Web Admin
>   |       |
>   |       |---- Domain End User
>   |       |
>   |       |---- Domain End User
>

> Will the new design allow such a setup?

Hi Ric,

I don't know the specifics of the next design revision for CPX, but we
will certainly look at this. I believe your setup could be
accomplished with the existing CPX setup plus a DAV setup (see
http://scott.wiersdorf.org/blog/sysadmin/mod_dav.html).

To address the real concern, though, I think we'll likely not add any
more roles, but treat *some* of the role functions as additional
features or services that can be granted to end users. E.g., "allow
end user to manage mail aliases for this domain", etc. That would be
my vote, in any case.

existing workarounds to accomplish what you're saying. Future design
changes *may* allow for end users to "take over" some of the DA
responsibilities, but no work has been done on that yet.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx