Re: [cpx] Wrong cgi-bin setup

At 08:30 PM 02/01/2006, you wrote:
> I enabled CGI on a domain that had it disabled, and it put the
> directory in the wrong location. It put it in
>
>     ScriptAlias    /cgi-bin/ "/home/user/www/cgi-bin/"
>     <Directory /home/user/www/cgi-bin>

This is the correct location; since all CGIs run under this user's UID anyway, this setup allows all the domains under this domain admin share CGIs. One stop shopping for all domains (e.g., put all your formmail domains in the one FormMail.pl to share it, etc.)

I guess I was considering each domain as a separate entity, and all files used by that domain are under the subtree for that domain. More object oriented and modular isn't it?

You can't have one common formmail.pl because, as you know, for security, each one is customized with the valid domain and email address to send it to. And if you string them all together, in the "common" formmail (which you can), then someone from domainA.com can send to person2@xxxxxxxxxxx since both domainA and domainB will have to be listed in the list of valid domains and valid email addresses.

@referers = ('domainA.com', 'domainB.com');
@recipients = ('person1\@domainA.com', 'person2\@domainB.com');

Having a separate CGI area for each domain is more modular and ensures no interactions between domains. I think
        formmail-domaina.com.pl
        formmail-domainb.com.pl

in a common area is ugly personally, but I guess that's the "CPX" way!

Perhaps you choose a bad example (to support your point) with formmail.pl ;-)

Well, I guess you decide what the CPX model is, and we decide if we want to use it. In this case, I don't want to use it :-)

Thanks.

Bill