Re: [cpx] User prefix (December 2004) and vsap

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:37:09AM +0100, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> Subject: Re: [cpx] User prefix (December 2004) and vsap
>
> Following up on Rus' response:

> >> If we were to migrate to CPX, Is it still the case that I can use
> >> the vsap API to add the virtual host, the domain admin, two
> >> standard e-mail accounts (webmaster@.... and info@....),  and let
> >> the rest of the existing script set up the stats and send me the
> >> e-mail with all details?
> >
> > yes.  vadduser is cpx aware now and will take a domain name as a
> > command line arg.  not sure if the user is set as the domain admin
> > for new domain names or not... Scott could probably tell you (or you
> > can kick the tires and find out yourself).
>
> I will do a test. However I wasn't thinking of using vadduser. I was
> hoping to go more the way Jonathan explained:
> --------------------------------------
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> use VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::mail;
> VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::mail::update_entry( 'joe@xxxxxxxx' =>
> 'joeuser');
> --------------------------------------
> I was kind of hoping there was a way to add virtual host entries, with
> domain users and all the settings that would normally be fed to the cpx
> web interface manually. Or am i expecting too much?

no you aren't expecting too much; you can use the VSAP modules if you
like.

> Is there a vsap manual (man vsap gave nothing?)

You can view documentation for any VSAP module using the perldoc
command, for example:

  # perldoc /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/VSAP/Server/Modules/vsap/user.pm

    NAME
       VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::user - vsap user management

    SYNOPSIS
         use VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::user;
         blah blah blah

    DESCRIPTION
       VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::user manages all aspects of
       user accounts.

       user:add

       Adds a new user (domain admin or end user) to the system
       and to the CPX configuration file.  The following elements
       are expected:

       [snipped]

or:

  # perldoc /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/VSAP/Server/Modules/vsap/domain.pm

be warned, some of the documentation is incomplete... like this one:

  # perldoc /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/VSAP/Server/Modules/vsap/user/mail.pm

(oops.)

If all else fails, view the source.  Most of us write very readable
perl (the jury is still out on Scott though).  ;)

> >> As far as I can see from my test today is that more than a year
> >> later this request has not been honored. WHY NOT?
> >
> >Good question for CPX product management.  My guess is that it just
> >hasn't had as high a priority as other features.  I've been in a few
> >meetings where a feature that I myself thought was a "must have" but
> >eventually was postponed and not included in a release.... mind you,
> >it wasn't because my request wasn't important, but only because other
> >items were more important.
>
> I understand this.... but a year.... imho is way to long. Verio kind
> of launched cpx as an iManager replacer, made certains things much
> better than iManager, but left some important things out....

CPX will catch up and is closing the gap fast.  iManager is about
[scratches head] 8 years old; CPX is a little over 1 year old.

> >> Surely, It can't be that much work to add a prefix string for each
> >> domain admin, and then use it for evey username he adds, and also
> >> reduce the amount of usable characters for the 'free choice' part
> >> of the username *ie... the prefix 'test_' would leave 11 chars of
> >> 'free choice').
> >
> >Lol.  I said the same thing to my contractor this morning about some
> >corrections I want done to my ongoing home renovation project ("it
> >shouldn't be too much work", I said).
>
> I'm glad you're able to put things into perspection ;-)
>
> However, I'm sure you'll get your contractor to do what you want, well
> within a year.

Yeah, I got my contractor to do my bidding... same day service too.

> Some of us are still waiting for the prefix feature.

Yeah, I think you beat that point over my head already.  ;)

> >The truth be told, yes, it wouldn't take but a day or two to write code
> >to add that feature (in my humble estimation).  However, I can't speak
> >to how long it would take to update the documentation and help so that
> >the feature is properly explained and fully documented.  Also I can't
> >say for sure how long it would take to get the new strings (that would
> >be introduced with the new feature) translated into the several
> >languages that CPX supports.  Product management has answers to those
> >questions.
> >
> >My bet is that it is something that gets rolled into a CPX 2.0 release
> >this year... and that I'll probably be doing the work.  ;)
>
> I really appreciate your open level of comunication!

My pleasure... but what did I get myself into?  Lol.

> There's stil a good 11 months left in 2006. When do you think cpx 2.0
> will be launched,

No idea.

> and will there be a seemless upgrade path?

Yes, of course.

cheers.

--rus.

> Kind regards,
>
> Fred

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!