Re: [cpx] User prefix (December 2004) and vsap

Following up on Rus' response:

> If we were to migrate to CPX, Is it still the case that I can use the vsap
> API to add the virtual host, the domain admin, two standard e-mail accounts
> (webmaster@.... and info@....),  and let the rest of the existing script
> set up the stats and send me the e-mail with all details?

yes.  vadduser is cpx aware now and will take a domain name as a command
line arg.  not sure if the user is set as the domain admin for new
domain names or not... Scott could probably tell you (or you can kick
the tires and find out yourself).

I will do a test. However I wasn't thinking of using vadduser. I was hoping to go more the way Jonathan explained:
--------------------------------------

#!/usr/bin/perl

use VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::mail;
VSAP::Server::Modules::vsap::mail::update_entry( 'joe@xxxxxxxx' => 'joeuser');
--------------------------------------
I was kind of hoping there was a way to add virtual host entries, with domain users and all the settings that would normally be fed to the cpx web interface manually. Or am i expecting too much?

Is there a vsap manual (man vsap gave nothing?)

> As far as I can see from my test today is that more than a year later this
> request has not been honored. WHY NOT?

Good question for CPX product management.  My guess is that it just
hasn't had as high a priority as other features.  I've been in a few
meetings where a feature that I myself thought was a "must have" but
eventually was postponed and not included in a release.... mind you,
it wasn't because my request wasn't important, but only because other
items were more important.

I understand this.... but a year.... imho is way to long. Verio kind of launched cpx as an iManager replacer, made certains things much better than iManager, but left some important things out....

> Surely, It can't be that much work to add a prefix string for each domain
> admin, and then use it for evey username he adds, and also reduce the
> amount of usable characters for the 'free choice' part of the username
> *ie... the prefix 'test_' would leave 11 chars of 'free choice').

Lol.  I said the same thing to my contractor this morning about some
corrections I want done to my ongoing home renovation project ("it
shouldn't be too much work", I said).

I'm glad you're able to put things into perspection ;-)

However, I'm sure you'll get your contractor to do what you want, well within a year.
Some of us are still waiting for the prefix feature.

The truth be told, yes, it wouldn't take but a day or two to write code
to add that feature (in my humble estimation).  However, I can't speak
to how long it would take to update the documentation and help so that
the feature is properly explained and fully documented.  Also I can't
say for sure how long it would take to get the new strings (that would
be introduced with the new feature) translated into the several
languages that CPX supports.  Product management has answers to those
questions.

My bet is that it is something that gets rolled into a CPX 2.0 release
this year... and that I'll probably be doing the work.  ;)

I really appreciate your open level of comunication!

There's stil a good 11 months left in 2006. When do you think cpx 2.0 will be launched, and will there be a seemless upgrade path?

Kind regards,

Fred