RE: [cpx] How does CPX know what domains exist?

At 11:49 AM 04/14/2005, you wrote:
This is crazy.  A test URL like this is a very normal situation.

I agree it is very normal. I tried to manage it with as little intervention/use of CPX. In fact, I didn't use CPX at all... I only had to clean up CPX when it saw that domain in httpd.conf and grabbed it as it's own... and I couldn't get it to give it up without zapping the real area. As you saw, the fix was the edit the raw conf file.

Personally, to do many of my server admin tasks, I find I still need a mix of raw Unix work (i.e. edit httpd.conf, vadduser, etc.) and CPX. To be honest, with CPX at its current level of functionality, it doesn't buy me much of anything... but I have decided to try and use it because it is the new hot piece of software.

At the moment, the only value of CPX is that about two of the fifty (small) domains I host have been pleased they can edit their email addresses for their domain.

I know CPX will get better... but when you have to do a piece in CPX and then another piece by hand (or just try and subvert CPX) you know it's not quite the right tool yet...

I'm moving all my domains from a working VPS2 server to an empty VPS2 server, and setting things up the "CPX way" -- so far CPX hasn't been really helpful at all in terms of moving domains, users, and files from one machine to another. Granted, that's not it purpose but it seems to get in the way more than it helps...

Some of these have been already noted as suggestions, and confirmed they will be implemented. But, after I run CPX to add a domain, I have to go in and remove the AccessLog /dev/null because I want to just keep a master log file for the entire server.

I liked the "old style" view of your web hosts. Look in
        /www/vhosts
and find all your web sites. Look at them, fiddle them, etc. Now, you have to remember what domain is buried under what username and navigate into that users /home/name/www/domain.com (this is with FTP). I have decided I like the /www/vhosts/ listing ALL the domains, that I have manually created symbolic links to each domain in that area to point to the /home/user/www/whatever area.

Then I can have it my way. If I want a view of the users, I look in /home and find them all. If I want a view of all the domains, I look in /www/vhosts/ (assuming I have kept the links up... perhaps this would be an option in CPX?) It IS nice to have the "domain view" of the file system when working at the shell or with FTP.

One simple use I have had for this "domain view" is I want to quick look in their web area and see if there is a robots.txt -- if not, I put one in that allows access to all -- just to avoid all the 404 errors in the logs... Perhaps there is a real fancy shell script that you could make that says "Find all the domains from traversing down /home/user paths and tell me all the ones without a robots.txt" -- I'm not skilled enough to do that, and with FTP it is one simple click to go from a list of domains to the contents of any given domain. IF all the domains are listed in one area.

Any other people have thoughts about "how do I look at all my domains"? Or am I just looking at the "model" wrong?

Bill