Re: [cpx] Suggestion: Option to not create root & postmaster

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 09:20:52AM -0500, Bill Meier wrote:
> At least in my configuration, and I suspect others, I have no use for, nor
> do my Domain Admins have any use for root@ and postmaster@ -- so for every
> domain, I have to go in and set them to "no such user".
>
> Could there be an option to not even bother to create these?

Not using CPX; the RFC for mail systems specifies that both of these
addresses exist. These addresses are tried when all else fails; they
should not have any /dev/null mail filters on them. Being a mail
administrator for a large and active domain is a full time job in most
companies.

> root@xxxxxxxxxx         error:nouser User unknown
> postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx   error:nouser User unknown
>
> Probably make for faster startup if all these entries weren't there too :-)

It wouldn't make it any faster. These are hashed by sendmail, which
makes lookups extremely fast even for thousands of virtusertable
entries. The CPX component that parses this file (only when needed)
is also fairly fast.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx