Re: [cpx] www or not www that is the question... but not the only one ;)

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:22:47PM -0000, Bob Browning wrote:
> So that the directory tree under www is the same to every server - and
> incidentally the same as under vhosts/<USER> and our in-house test system.
> I am sure you can see why this is useful to a programmer.
>
> Scott - is this a bad thing to do?  Why domain.tld??

The domain.tld directory gives you several things:

- you immediately know the website being hosted by looking at the
  directory (no having to grok httpd.conf for DocumentRoots, etc.)
- if ever this user wants to host another site, nothing needs to
  change--just add another domain2.tld and everything just works.

For example, if joe has one website "joe.com" located in the directory
"~/www/joe.com" and he decides to also host "joesparts.net" as a
second domain in "~/www/joesdomain.net", nothing about joe.com needs
to change in order to add this second domain. Under the 'htdocs'
scheme, to be consistent you'd need to change httpd.conf and possibly
a variety of other locations.

If you're needing 'htdocs' for programmatic reasons (e.g., CGI scripts
or whatever), I'd be happy to help (off-list) work through some logic
issues or whatever to work with the suggested scheme. We've solved
this problem already and would love to pass on whatever help we can
to you.

<scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>