Re: [cpx] cpx - creates .imap folders in the /www/domain.com directory. = BAD

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 08:58:23PM -0400, Stormer's Cgi-Archive wrote:

> Subject: [cpx] cpx - creates .imap folders in the /www/domain.com directory. = BAD
>
> This is just a heads up...
>
> Had a client today who has squirrelcart installed on a freebsd v3 mps.
>
> They had logged into cpx as the domain administrator.   They clicked
> on the Mail tab at the top.  Then they clicked on the Folder List.
>
> viola... this parsed every file in the /www/domain.com folder and
> created .imap folders in every directory and ... it created thousands
> of individual directories all named the same as the files in the
> respective directories... grief.  Trust me, if this were a vps3
> viaverio would have sent me a cpu hog notice!  Because it was an mps
> it handled it fairly good.
>
> Because the squirrellcart parses certain directories for images and
> such and the .imap folders did not have permissions that were
> readable, it instantly took their cart off line with multiple visible
> php errors.
>
> After I removed all the .imap folders it fixed the cart.
>
> Is this a cart problem?   No.  This is a cpx problem.  It should not
> allow mail folders in the /www directory "at all".
>
> I explained to my client what happened and how they can prevent this
> in the future.  But really...  cpx needs to be idiot proofed.  If a
> client can click on it.. "they will".
>
> Heads up!
>
> James

James,

I'm fairly certain that Dovecot creates those ".imap" directories.  I
would start your investigation (with the assistance of support if
necessary) looking at which folders your user is subscribed to via
Dovecot/maildir.  It may be that the user has inadvertently subscribed
to a folder that is not in his or her "Mail" directory.  (Note: It is
impossible to subscribe to a folder outside of the Mail directory using
CPX.  But obviously, CPX is not the only IMAP mail client out there.)

HTH.

cheers.

--rus.

> --
>
> Stormer's Cgi-Archive
> http://www.stormer.org
> This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      <http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>
> Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above URL).

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!