[cpx] Remember when restoring from backups...

Jones wrote:
About getback - when you run getback on a file, you are given 4 versions, one from the previous day and three from 7, 14 and 21 days ago. The previous day version is "Online" and is free. The other versions are on tape and a fee is required to get them.

I'll risk stating the obvious because I'm afraid people will miss it and that can be a very costly mistake.

The thing to remember about the online $free backup is that it is overwritten with a new backup every night. If you trash a file and need it restored at 5:00pm, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING TO GET IT RESTORED. Do it right away or your free backup won't contain anything useful.

For instance: If you trash a file at 5:00pm on Thursday and immediately restore it from the online backup, you get Wednesday's (good) file. But if you wait until Friday morning to do the restore, you get Thursday's (bad) file.

The last time I checked, the fee for restoring from tape was $100 so forgetting this can be expensive.

And if I can toot my own horn a tiny bit... we have an automated backup solution which will give you 30 days of backups of your entire VPS or MPS (or Signature account). See http://www.hens-teeth.net/html/products/nest_egg_backup.php

Cheers,
   -- Art Z.

--

Art Zemon, President