Re: [cpx] Adding a domain to /www/conf (migrating vps2 -> vps3)

[comments in-line below]

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:06:16PM +0100, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> Subject: [cpx] Adding a domain to /www/conf (migrating vps2 -> vps3)
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a client who is currently on a vps2. As he needs mysql5, php5
> and apache2 I advised hom to take a linux of vps3 account with us.
>
> As verio kindly offers us the 1st month free for an account, I setup
> a linux and a vps3 account, both with CPX. Both accoynts have a temp
> domain (linux.client.com and vps3.client.com) , until the client's
> domain (client.com) is moved to the server of his choice.
>
> Below you will see my problem and the way I attacked it. (Verio
> support understood my problem, but could not really give me the
> solution I wanted).
>
> I would like advice, if I did the right thing, because the last thing
> I want is CPX to kill e-mail or the website, when the domain gets
> moved to one of the new accounts.
>
> The client want's to add his e-mail users (mostly aliases to other
> e-mail addresses) on both accounts, so that when he makes his choice,
> the server of his choice is ready to go, when we move the domain to
> the new linux of vps3 account.
>
> When I try to add e-mail addresses in CPX, I can only add e-mail
> addresses for a domain, that CPX "knows" is on the server. When I
> "Add Domain" I only get the choice to add the domain (which will
> become the main domain on the server) as a virtual host. I don't want
> this for the website...
>
> So what I did:
>
> I edited /usr/local/etc/cpx.conf (yes I know the file warns you not
> to...) and changed the all the temp domain tags (vps3.client.com)
> back to the client's main domain name (client.com). Next I restarted
> the server, and voila... I can add e-mail addresses for the domain
> client.com ,and the website will be in /www/htdocs (Where I want it).
>
> Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Fred,

No, there is nothing wrong with the approach.  In fact, I think that
is the only way to accomplish what you desire (afaik).

I recommend stopping vsapd before editing your cpx.conf file and then
restarting vsapd after you are finished.

On VPSv2 or VPSv3:

  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vsapd stop
  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vsapd.sh start

On LinuxVPS:

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsapd stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsapd start

> Slightly off topic:
>
> If anybody of the CPX team is reading this... why is there not a
> simple add domain function, that adds a domain, but not as a virtual
> host? Surely I'm not the only one, with multiple domains, aimed at
> /www/htdocs?

I don't have a good answer for you.  CPX was designed with a "domain
administrator" user in mind geared around a virtual host.

Yes, technically the "www" user (or "apache" user on Linux) is a
domain administrator.  But there is no facility inside of CPX to
allow for this special system domain admin user to edit the config
for the main hostname.

I can see two longstanding enhancement requests in the queue that (if
addressed) would address your need.  However, there requests are
currently both classified as "Future", e.g. there is no timetable for
development on these requests to begin.

cheers.

--rus.

> Kind regards,
>
> Fred

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!