Re: [cpx] Adding a domain to /www/conf (migrating vps2 -> vps3)

Hello Fred,

We've made these types of migrations many times without any significant problems by simply editing the virtusertable and manually adding the relevant e-mail addresses. This usually involves duplicating the temp domain e-mail addresses (that can be created through CPX Control Panel), and changing the temp domain name to the new domain.

After the domain(s) are resolving to the new VPS3 we remove the temp domain entries in /etc/hosts, /etc/mail/virtusertable and /etc/mail/local-host-names, cd to /etc/mail/ and run make; restart_sendmail.

VPS accounts are initially configured with the hostname of your choice during provisioning for this very reason.

In general, we haven't found it necessary to edit cpx.conf with the exception of issues like the one Ghislain reported re; the File Manager not showing.

I completed a similar migration just last week and the above is a very approximate description of how it was handled. We had zero problems with e-mail and the customer is very happy.

If I've left something out please let me know.

Cheers,
Uwe

<ps>It would be interesting to know which VPS flavor your customer chooses.</ps>

AlpineWeb Design ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://AlpineWeb.com/
603-356-8797 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://AlpineWeb.com/helpdesk/

Fred Bloggs wrote:
Hi,

I have a client who is currently on a vps2. As he needs mysql5, php5 and apache2 I advised hom to take a linux of vps3 account with us.

As verio kindly offers us the 1st month free for an account, I setup a linux and a vps3 account, both with CPX. Both accoynts have a temp domain (linux.client.com and vps3.client.com) , until the client's domain (client.com) is moved to the server of his choice.

Below you will see my problem and the way I attacked it. (Verio support understood my problem, but could not really give me the solution I wanted).

I would like advice, if I did the right thing, because the last thing I want is CPX to kill e-mail or the website, when the domain gets moved to one of the new accounts.

The client want's to add his e-mail users (mostly aliases to other e-mail addresses) on both accounts, so that when he makes his choice, the server of his choice is ready to go, when we move the domain to the new linux of vps3 account.

When I try to add e-mail addresses in CPX, I can only add e-mail addresses for a domain, that CPX "knows" is on the server. When I "Add Domain" I only get the choice to add the domain (which will become the main domain on the server) as a virtual host. I don't want this for the website...

So what I did:

I edited /usr/local/etc/cpx.conf (yes I know the file warns you not to...) and changed the all the temp domain tags (vps3.client.com) back to the client's main domain name (client.com). Next I restarted the server, and voila... I can add e-mail addresses for the domain client.com ,and the website will be in /www/htdocs (Where I want it).

Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Slightly off topic:

If anybody of the CPX team is reading this... why is there not a simple add domain function, that adds a domain, but not as a virtual host? Surely I'm not the only one, with multiple domains, aimed at /www/htdocs?

Kind regards,

Fred