RE: [cpx] Mail forward from CPX Webmail don't work

On the new servers, the /etc/mail/genericstable & /etc/mail/genericstable.db files usually have the incorrect group ownership. They should be 'smmsp' but are usually 'wheel'. CPX creates the entries regardless of the ownership, it's just that unless the total ownership is root:smmsp Sendmail will ignore the file. To fix this, do the following via SSH (you must be be on as root):
cd /etc/mail
ll | grep generics (this will let you confirm what the user & group ownership are set to)
chgrp smmsp genericstable* (this will change the group ownership for both the genericstable file that you can edit, and the genericstable.db file that Sendmail uses)
restart_sendmail

If you ever need to manually edit the genericstable, please note that you can only have one email address per user (unlike virtmaps). CPX sets up the entry when the user is created. It uses the email address specified during that setup. Also, after you edit the file you will need to create/update the .db file & restart Sendmail. This can be done by doing the following:
cd /etc/mail
make maps
restart_sendmail

The 'make maps' can only be ran from the /etc/mail directory. It will rebuild all .db files, if needed, in the /etc/mail directory.

This incorrect ownership happens on both the VPSv2 and the new VPSv3. This is something that changed about 6 months ago, before that the permissions were being set correctly.

An additional problem it may cause, is when you have a form on your server. If your mail keeps going to dead.letter, it's a good indication that this could be the problem. The mail will try to authenticate as 'domain_admin'@hostname if the genericstable permissions are incorrect. One solution, create the virtmap required. The better solution, correct the genericstable permissions.

Hopefully this helps.

-Michael