Re: [cpx] Server and Domain Admin change help

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 07:58:11AM -0400, Mike Williams wrote:

> Subject: [cpx] Server and Domain Admin change help
>

> I decided to go with the flow and install CPX. But it seems I have run into
> a little snag. I hope I have not screwed up.
>
> Here's the scene.
>

> Server Admin was shared between 2 companies because I could not figure a way
> to get it 2 work other wise. (My Bad as they say)
> I was the admin on both users so no need to really worry about it.
> Now user b wants to expand to have his own people admin there website and
> the server. (that's the need for the control panel change)
>
> ServerAdmin1(user1) has 5 domains and 11 email pop email accounts However
> this will remain the ServerAdmin
>
> ServerAdmin2(user2) has 30 domains 1 pop email and 18 Virtable forwards to
> other .com addresses.
>
> 1. How do I change ServerAdmin to a DomainAdmin So that they are limited to
> only their domains, Pop3 and virtable access?
> All domains are /home/user2/www/Domain.com/Sub.Domain.com/

The CPX server admin (which is completely different from the
"ServerAdmin" defined in the <VirtualHost> blocks of your domain names)
is determined based on whether or not a user is a member of the 'wheel'
group.  Take "user2" out of the 'wheel' group and he/she will no longer
be considered a CPX server admin.  Conversely, to promote a user to the
role of a CPX server admin, add that user to the 'wheel' group.  This
must be done outside the context of the CPX control panel, either
manually or using other methods.

Also, just to be clear we are talking the same language, please consider
that:

  CPX server admin != VirtualHost ServerAdmin

and:

  CPX domain admin == VirtualHost User

> 2. ServerAdmin2 (which I assume will be the Domainmanager2) will have
> Managers assigned to several areas.
>      1 Domain Manager responsible for all and setting up the other managers.
>      2 or more file managers for main-domain and sub-domains.
>      1 email manager to add delete and oversee the email accounts
>      multiple end-users

CPX will only allow one Domain Admin per domain... this is defined as
the value for the "User" configured in the <VirtualHost> block.  Domain
managers cannot not add other managers - only End Users.

> 3. How do I change the size limits ServerAdmin 1 and 2 were full server Now
> I need to limit ServerAdmin2 to 6-Gigs

Control Panel >>
  User List >>
    {user} Properties link >>
      Edit Profile >>
	User Disk Space (change value in text area box) >>
	  Save

> 4. I am confused as always about the group assignments www wheel and so on.
>    What should the ServerAdmin 1 which will now control all be set to?
>    What should ServerAdmin2( DomainManager) be set to?

Other than the 'wheel' group membership (see above), CPX will handle
group memberships such as 'ftp', 'pop', and 'imap' for you.  No need to
worry about this.

hth.

cheers.

--rus.

> I hope I have made myself clear on what I need to change and how it needs to
> work. I think it may be better if I could talk to someone about everything.
> So if someone has the time to help.
> Contact off list and we can exchange numbers I have unlimited US long
> distance so I can call easily.
>

> Mike 'Hillbilly' Williams
> CountryHosting.com

> This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      <http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>
> Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above URL).

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!