Re: [cpx] cpx add-on modules

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:15:57PM -0700, Mark A. Sharkey wrote:
> Would Verio be interested in having 'beta-developers' who could identify
> obstacles that are encountered by creating add-on modules right now?

We're pretty aware of what the obstacles are. They include isolating
large parts of the CPX installed base from the skeleton hierarchy
(i.e., you won't get future dists, including bug fixes, new features,
etc) because to add new features right now you have to modify the xsl
templates.

The bottom half of the control panel (the vsap layer) is mostly
"pluggable" and would only require a wee tweak to make it work, but
the top half (the actual control panel application) is only partly
pluggable right now, and this is where the crux of the problem lies.

I know our PM group (among others here) is eager to get to work on
this kind of capability for CPX, but I don't have any time lines for
you (but remember that it was only about 5 months ago that I didn't
have a timeline for file manager either).

I imagine there will be one or two significant architecture changes
between now and then which would make custom development frustrating
for everyone. Certainly, though, when our PM group and dev is ready
to commit to it, we'll likely ask for volunteers at that time.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx