Re: [cpx] Wishlist: forgotten password

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:08:18AM -0500, Rae French wrote:

> Subject: Re: [cpx] Wishlist: forgotten password
>
> Actually, because CPX is used for more than just mail and the mail is POP3,
> in most cases users are getting their email through their email client
> instead of reading it on the Webmail.

The exceptions (ftp-only users, webmail users, etc) break the rule however.

> Their email client holds the password
> (although it is ***** and is unable to read) but they can still get email.

There are quite a few free tools to view the actual value of "*****" entries
in Windows text entry fields.  I know because I've used them to "undisguise"
passwords on my wife's Win2k computer.  Here is the one I used (iirc):

  <http://www.scalabium.com/showpw.htm>

There may be similiar tools for Mac OS/OSX... dunno.  But it is a viable
alternative for you to consider.

cheers.

--rus.

> A new password could be sent to them and they could receive it.
>
> I have a number of programs running that will handle the forgotten password
> in a number of different ways. For instance, one program will regenerate a
> password and send it to them. Another makes them authenticate with a
> passcode before sending them the password.
>
> I do understand the concern for security and am aware that basic
> authentication doesn't provide for a password to be sent. However, there
> should be a way to do this without jeopardizing security. I know that my
> time is better spent without having to reset passwords for people who don't
> write things down. I'll give this some more thought to see if I can come up
> with a suggestion or two.
>
> Keep up the good work, guys.
>
> Best wishes,
> Rae

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!