Re: [cpx] CPX and Imanagerpro - Coexistence possible?

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:40:54PM +0100, Andy McKell wrote:

> Subject: Re: [cpx] CPX and Imanagerpro - Coexistence possible?
>
> Breath is bated, my friend!

Andy,

go here:

  <https://wednesday.securesites.net/ControlPanel/>
  user: rustest
  pass: rustest

Don't be surprised if this account gets wiped sometime in the future, I
recycle this server (my development server) quite often.

> A remaining issue is the one I raised about the new iManager in another
> forum.

I responded on the other forum.  ;)

> Especially since we allow users to change their own passwords, we need a
> GUI "access all areas" function similar to su root.
>
> Can the server admin use CPX File Manager to upload and modify files for
> different users without logging-in as that user and hence knowing their
> password or asking for it by insecure email or phone?
>
> Andy

Yes, at this time (and unlike iManager), the CPX File Manager will give
the server admin plenty of rope.  That may change in the future.

The domain admin will also be able to view/manipulate files in their own
directory space and the directory heirarchies of any of their endusers
in two different ways.  The first way is by using the domain admin login
and password; a drop down menu is presented in the File Manager which
allows the domain admin to select a different enduser's home directory to
view.  Furthermore, the server side file chooser (which typically is
invoked when asked to select a target for certain actions; copy, move,
compress, etc) also allows you specify a location in either the domain
admin's directory or the directory of any of the domain admin's endusers.
Thus it becomes possible to copy/move files from an enduser's home dir to
the domain admin home dir and vice versa, or from one enduser's home dir
to another, etc.

The second way a domain admin can access enduser files is by using the
"domainadmin:enduser" login combination (an authentication method that
has been previouly documented and discussed in this forum).  This only
allows the domain admin to work in the directory space of the enduser.

cheers.

--rus.

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!