Re: [cpx] Virtual host and aliases, main brake to CPX use ?

Bob Browning wrote:

Related to this is the situation when a web site is new.  Almost inevitably
it will have a temporary domain customer.reseller.com for example  and then
when the site goes live it becomes www.customer.com.
CPX doesn't really handle this situation well as the user interface has this
built-in assumption that a domain = a virtual host.  We end up with both
domains listed and managed as if they were separate virtual hosts and the
whole thing gets quite confusing. I am looking at one now that has the same
virtual host listed three times.  Each has a log rotation method, and I have
no idea what would happen if I set each to be something different.
Basically I propose that data such as log rotation, mail administration,
disk usage, web services etc need to be attached to the virtual host, rather
than the domain.  There is a handy-dandy key for this which is the login id
of the administrator which is the same as xxx in the /home/xxx path.
One thing I learned several decades ago is the importance of not using an
item of data (which may change) as a unique key identifier of other data. It
seems to me that this is exactly what we have, and is the underlying cause
of these problems. I think that the domain name is data - not a fixed unique
key and should be treated as such.
The designers of CPX have designed it this way so that a virtual host
administrator can set up more than one web site (re the previous discussion
on the naming of the 'htdocs' directory), but I think what has been done is
essentially a kludge which causes problems for the much more important case
of a single web site with multiple domains.
Bob
Bob Browning  020 8400 6115   bob@xxxxxxxxxx
Textor Webmasters Ltd  http://www.textor.com

i agree on this. The key for a virtualhost should not be the domain as it can change or have aliases. The website is an entity that uses domains but i think cpx sees a domain that use services like mail/ftp/users and so on so in this seems to be the reverse way on this case. Mainly if this is the design then we have a problem to add the alias part. Thanks Bob to share you vue with us, i feel less alone on this trouble now.

best regards,
Ghislain.