Re: [cpx] CPX progress update

Hi,

I would also like to know if the problem I reported with interference with
namespace variables is in the bug database.

from my php app support group:
An easy way to test it to load phpinfo up for the problem php
site and keep refreshing while someone browses the perl bit - you will
see all the apache environment variables are totally screwed - including
rather notably PATH_INFO which is what short urls need. Hence it is
trying to load allfunctions.js as a module.

solution:
rewriting some of the perl scripts to
not use the apache variable names.

I'd be happy if I could just enable/disable cpx in specific <Directory> locations

:)

using
LoadModule perl_module        libexec/libperl-5.8.4.so
LoadModule php4_module      libexec/mod_php4-4.3.10.so

Thanks,
Jonathan

-- jonathan linowes
  parkerhill technology group
  jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  direct: (603) 303-5529

--------

Perl seems to be especially good at polluting the apache environment. I
even had one perl site screwing up all the apache environment variables
for the 50 other php virtual hosts running on the same server.

In the end it seemed to be the way the perl was written (badly) and the
use of mod_perl.

Removing mod_perl helped as did rewriting some of the perl scripts to
not use the apache variable names.

I still think it is a mod_perl bug since it shouldn't be possible for a
perl script running on one virtual host to affect sites running on other
virtual hosts just because they're part of the same Apache daemon.

Suffice to say it is the perl environment's fault and not Xaraya or
PHP's. An easy way to test it to load phpinfo up for the problem php
site and keep refreshing while someone browses the perl bit - you will
see all the apache environment variables are totally screwed - including
rather notably PATH_INFO which is what short urls need. Hence it is
trying to load allfunctions.js as a module.

Turning off short urls seems to get rid of the problem but now the
xaraya sites are suffering for something thats not their fault and I did
find that some other operations were slightly temperamental too as the
environment couldnt be trusted anymore.

In the end it was fixed by having totally seperate apache daemons
running on different ports with an apache proxy on the front end farming
the requests out to the appropriate machine:port combination for that
virtual host. (probably not worth the effort for only a few sites - but
this setup hosts several hundred on a mosix cluster).