Re: [cpx] Checking user mail from the Server Admin ControlPanel

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 04:54:54PM -0500, Richard Edwards wrote:
> I think the ability to check user mail direct from the Server Admin
> ControlPanel would be a great addition to CPX. It's a hassle to have to
> dig up user password to help out a user or to check up on full mail box
> problems.

A maintenance release will be going out sometime in the near future
that will let an admin login as an end user, but it will not allow
them to view mail.

> Is this being considered in future versions of CPX?

Not at this time. The main reason is that IMAP authentication is done
separately from control panel authentication. Since we don't store
passwords in plain text anywhere, we don't know what any end user's
password will be.

For control panel authentication, we can get around this by doing a
virtual "su", where you authenticate as your self, but the control
panel authorizes you as an end user. There is no corresponding
mechanism for the IMAP protocol.

The only way to do this currently is to do it via the shell where you
can bypass normal imap authentication routines and access the mailbox
directly.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx