Re: [cpx] Pre-install questions

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 05:59:56PM -0600, Jerry Gapinski - Acuity Creative wrote:
> Scott
>
> Most of my hosting clients are also my web design clients, so our setup of
> subhosts make sense (for us).

Maybe I can suggest an alternative: create a role user on your system
and put all your web-design clients under that user (i.e., move all
doc roots under that user's www directory). This will allow your
servers to mix design clients with other hosting customers. Just an idea.

> I'd like to use CPX for clients who are host only and that may have multiple
> domains then need to admin.
>
> Can I use CPX in this mixed case? (some sitres in
> /www/htdocs/SUBHOST-DOMAIN.NAME and CPX sites in
> home/USERNAME/www/SUBHOST-DOMAIN.NAME)

I don't know what the effects will be; I don't think there will be any
ill effects, actually, as long as your htdocs clients' files are owned
by the same user found in the <VirtualHost> section of your httpd.conf
file.

> PS - Can I install CPX without breaking my current setup?

You've read the document here, I assume?:

  <http://groupmail.org/lists/cpx/msg00075.html>

Noting the new dependencies (e.g., Perl), you'll need to evaluate that
yourself. CPX does not change any Apache configuration, so if you're
only doing web hosting, you should be ok. Some normalization is
effected on the virtusertable file; the above link indicates what
those changes are (if any).

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx