Re: [cpx] Pre-install questions

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:09:23PM -0600, Jerry Gapinski - Acuity Creative wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have our server setup different than a default VPS2.
>
> Will these cause any problems, I don?t mind not using CPX to set-up
> subhosts:
> * all web sites are in /www/htdocs/SUBHOST-DOMAIN.NAME, instead of
> home/USERNAME/www/SUBHOST-DOMAIN.NAME

I don't think CPX will be the right tool for you, if your web
directories are not located under the user that administers the
domain. That's a significant philosophical difference that can't be
easily reconciled.

CPX groups all domains for a domain administator under that user's
account; this setup provides increased security and convenience in the
following ways:

- keeps the domain quotas under the quota of the admin
- allows for a single login to access all document roots
- allows CGI scripts to run as the domain admin, allowing him to write
  to DB files, etc. without elevating the permissions of Apache, or
  softening the directory ownership or directory permissions.

Without conforming to the VPS v2 vaddhost/cpx philosophy, it will be
very hard to use those tools to administer your VPS v2 account.

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx