Re: [cpx] Re: [vps2] automated management of virtmaps

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:50:51PM -0700, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Jared,
>
> Ok, you and Sherm and Scott have now got my curiosity up.
>
> What would be the reason behind you giving me the long perl script that
> basically does (in the end) the same thing that the 3 liner that Sherm
> gave me does?  I notice that one using the VSAP::Client and the other is
> using the VSAP:Server.  I assume that the client just weeds stuff out and
> plays with the data before it feeds it to the server command.  Yes?

Sort of. The piece Sherm sent is a helper module for VSAP--not truly
a VSAP module. Jared sent the "right way" to do it; if we ever
implemented a command-line utility like you're talking about, we'd use
Jared's method (we did this for the clamav-on/off and
spamassassin-on/off command-line utilities in Signature).

Sherm was poking about in areas that are even more likely to change
than the VSAP interface in the distant future, but less likely to
change between now and the time we solidify the VSAP API (as Jared
mentioned).

For example, that particular module might at some point have a new
namespace outside of VSAP::Server::Modules with other helper modules
that do not follow the VSAP API but are called by VSAP modules to do
heavy-lifting.

In short: use either at your own risk. VSAP API has a bigger risk of
changing until we bless it sometime mid-way through next year (at
which point we feel an obligation to actually tell people we're making
changes if we do). The helper module you're using has a bigger risk of
changing after that time (and we likely won't give warning). Feel free
to copy the relevant procedures for (exclusive) use on your viaVerio
VPS to avoid those risks completely.

<scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>