Re: [cpx] CPX file manger

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 02:29:56PM -0400, Norman R. Prevett wrote:

> Subject: Re: [cpx] CPX file manger
>
> Hi Steve:
>
> Good question. I'm guessing the largest might be 25 MB but I'm not sure
> yet.

Norman,

Upload requests in CPX are handled via the Apache::Request object, e.g.
no file is every put in memory, but rather a file handle is passed from
Apache to the CPX Control Panel upload module and the file handle is
read in blocks and written to disk.  Thus, there is really no
significant memory overhead to speak of... regardless of the size of the
file that is uploaded.

However, the time it takes for a file to upload (whether it is small or
large) is of particular concern.  As you may well know, Apache has
"timeouts" that it imposes on any process to complete.  If a process
fails to complete in a specified time, then it is terminated.  Thus, it
is theoretically possible that a small file uploaded over a dial-up
connection could get killed whereas a much larger file uploaded over a
LAN-type connection would make it.

The 10MB limit is arbitrary and can be changed if you like.  Please see
the file /usr/local/cp/lib/ControlPanel.pm and look for the POST_MAX
definition where a new Apache::Request object is instantiated.

Note that if you modify the ControlPanel.pm file... you "own" it.  And
any future updates to the file will not be applied to your account.  So
be careful out there.

hth.

--rus.

> Steve Yates wrote:
> >Norman R. Prevett wrote on 10/15/2007 10:25:37 AM:
> >

> >>The CPX file manager limits uploads to 10 Meg. Is there any way to
> >>increase that?
> >>

> >	To what?  The challenge with most web-base file uploads is that
> >the web server reads the file into memory before it can save it to disk,
> >so there can't be an infinite limit.  (or some yahoo would try to upload
> >a CD or movie and crash the server).
> >
> > - Steve Yates
> > - ITS, Inc.
> > - Success comes in a can.  Failure comes in a cannot.
> >
> >~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~
> >
> >======================================================================
> >This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      <http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>
> >Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above URL).
> >

> --
>
> Norman R. Prevett
>
> Jenica Corporation
> "Helping Business Profit from Technology"
> * World Class Web Site Hosting and Design
> * Turnkey Commercial Web Sites, Secure Online Ordering
> * Internet Connections for Corporate Networks
> * Consulting Training and Support
>
> Mill Yard Technology Park
> 80 Technology Way, Suite 4E6, Nashua, NH 03060
> Tel 1.603.886.4668
> Fax 1.603.880.9209
> Email: norm@xxxxxxxxxx
> Web Site http://www.jenica.com

> This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      <http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>
> Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above URL).

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!