Re: [cpx] Migrating to VPS2 & CPX - how to add a domain admin?

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:19:41PM -0700, Matt Cohen wrote:

> Subject: Re: [cpx] Migrating to VPS2 & CPX - how to add a domain admin?
>
> At 3:01 PM -0700 8/16/06, Rus Berrett said something about:
> >On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:22:26PM -0700, Matt Cohen wrote:
> >>
> >> Subject: [cpx] Migrating to VPS2 & CPX - how to add a domain admin?
> >>
> >> I'm migrating a VPS1 to a VPS2 and I want to start everyone fresh and
> >> use CPX.  I've already imported my users and now i'm noticing that I
> >> don't see an easy (or any!) way to take a user that already exists
> >> and 'promote' them to a domain admin.
> >>
> >> I did some searching and don't see much beyond the online help in CPX
> >> - how do I promote someone to being a domain admin (and of course,
> >> later I may need to 'unpromote' someone...)
> >>
> >> Matt
> >
> >Matt,
> >
> >How did you add the domain names to the server?  Or have you yet?
> >When you add a domain name via CPX you specify the admin at that
> >time.
> >
> >If you added them manually outside of CPX, then don't fret.  Check
> >over your vhosts in your httpd.conf and be sure you are happy with
> >the "User" assignments for each host.  The username specified as
> >the value for the "User" component of the VirtualHost is presumed
> >to be the domain admin (only one domain admin per domain).
>
> THanks for the clarification - but what if i'm NOT happy with that
> assignment?  Can I change it?

Via the GUI?  No, not at this time.

> I've got my contact at the business (userid: manager), who wants to
> handle all the usernames & password resets.  However he does NOT want
> to handle the FTP to the site, which someone else handles.
> Therefore, on the VPS2 i've laid out the site as
> /home/company123/www/company123.com.  That way they can give out the
> password to the company123 account to other employees/people who need
> FTP access to the site.
>
> I don't think I can specify the User as 'manager') and have the web
> site live in /home/company123/ , right?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Matt

Hmmm.  Could you simply set up the company's website under 'manager' in
/home/manager/www/company123.com and then set up another FTP-only account
that homes itself in /home/manager/www/company123.com?  Would that not
fulfill the needs of your customer?  It's not pretty, but it would work
(methinks).

The elegant way to accomplish the same thing is setting up users with
normal FTP-only access, creating a company123.com directory in the user
homedir, and then using mount_null() to mount one directory to the other
(this circumvents the chroot'edness of proftpd that prohibits symlinks
to directories from working), e.g. null mounting /home/user/company123
to /home/manager/www/company123.

But for whatever reason mount_null() isn't available... not sure why.
If it was available... that would be the cleanest way to do it.  You may
want to request mount_null() be made available on the VPS platform.  It
is a real slick way to duplicate one part of the file system in another
part of the file system; basically allowing access to the same set of
files using multiple pathnames (like hard linking for files, but for
directories instead).  I use mount_null() with great success at home on
my personal FreeBSD boxen.

hth.

--rus.