RE: [cpx] Spam Box Plan

Chris Hess <> wrote on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:57 AM:

> Does anyone know of an option to automate the clearing out of spam
folders?

Chris,

	That's why we have always gravitated towards client-side
filtering.  Very few remember to check their online spam folder.

	To answer your question see archmbox.  Posted on the VPS2 list a
while back:

Lang Zerner <> wrote on Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:33 PM:

> I just came across a utility in the poorts collection called archmbox,
> which can archive, delete, report, or copy messages from an mbox mail
> folder.  archmbox is a great way to keep tabs on the ever-growing
> quarantine and spam folders on my servers that run SpamAssassin and
> ClamAV.
>
> I now have archmbox running on all my servers in a nightly cron job
that
> deletes spam or quarantine messages more than 10 days old.  Here's how
> easy it is to set up:
>
> 1) Become root:
> su
>
> 2) Install archmbox:
> cd /usr/ports/mail/archmbox
> make install
> make clean
>
> 3) Open your root crontab for editing:
> crontab -e
>
> 4) Add the following lines to your crontab:
> # Delete old messages from quarantine and spam folders
> @daily /usr/local/bin/archmbox -k -o 10 --totals
/home/*/Mail/[Qq]uarantine /home/*/Mail/[Ss]pam /home/*/Mail/Junk

> 5) Inform your users that spam and virus-laden mail will be
> automatically deleted after 10 days.
>
> If your users keep mail in a folder other than $HOME/Mail, change the
> file specifications to suit your installation.  To keep mail for more
or
> fewer days, change the -o value to the number of days to keep.  See
> archmbox --help for more options.

	The "/home/*/..." wildcard will run it for all users.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Tribble bandleader: */

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~