Re: [cpx] Security Breach!

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 03:31:54PM -0600, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> Subject: [cpx] Security Breach!
>
> Ok, I am worried.  I did not even stop to check if this was in the
> archives or not.
>
> I was just logged into CPX as the "server admin user".  Just for kicks I
> decided to try to access a file that should not have been accessible at
> all.  Before I accessed the file, it looked like this:
>
> -rw-------   1 root         wheel           1584 Jan 25 09:11 secrets.txt
>
> To my shock and horror I was able to view the file in CPX
> (fortunately I was using HTTPS).

Server admins can go anywhere and do anything in the file manager... and
it has always been this way.  So this is not a suprising discovery (to me
at least).

> After I accessed the file it looked like
> this:
>
> -rw-rw----   1 root         www             1584 Jan 25 09:11 secrets.txt
>
> Ummmm.... does anyone else see the major security issue(s) here?!

I just attempted to replicate this behavior on my [development] box
and on the master production servers and was not successful.

Just curious... what is the full pathname to secrets.txt in your
scenario?

> Is this a known bug?  Is this a feature?  If so, it is a terrible
> feature, IMESHO.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
> This is <cpx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      <http://www.groupmail.org/lists/cpx/>
> Before posting a question, please search the archives (see above URL).

Rus Berrett                                                    NTT/Verio
                 See Perl. See Perl Run. Run Perl, Run!