Re: [cpx] Savelogs processing

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 02:32:04PM -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
> 	I just set up a new server and let CPX handle the log files this
> time.  It added to /etc/crontab one entry per virtual host like so:
>
> @daily root savelogs --apacheconf=/www/conf/httpd.conf
> --apachehost=example.com --postmovehook="/www/bin/apachectl graceful"
> --period=7 --chown=userid:
>
> 	I gather the ideal thing is to have the PostMoveHook as close to
> the log rotation as possible,

Right.

> otherwise the obvious question is why not
> call one script file from /etc/crontab, possibly setting up a
> ~/.cpx/savelogs.conf file for each user, and then restart_apache at the
> end rather than several times in the middle.

We have an open bug/enhancement on this which would allow for some
consolidation.

> Savelogs' ability to read
> all the logs from httpd.conf would be great, but I can see on a "least
> common denominator" basis how some admins might want to turn off log
> rotation for some sites.  Or did I miss something and PostMoveHook
> executes once per virtual host, rather than once per savelogs execution
> regardless of how many logs are rotated?

No, your assessment is correct. The current problem is when many
virtual hosts are on the box, you get Apache restarting a lot and a
lot of savelogs processes running simultaneously.

> 	I have another question...is there a way in CPX to set up log
> rotation for the main server's logs (/www/logs/access_log)? I can't find
> how to get to there...

We didn't provide that functionality. Improved log handling abilities
are scheduled for a future update (i.e., they're being actively worked
on).

scottw@xxxxxxxxxxxx