RE: [cpx] RE: Conf file poltergeist?

>>	Did you read the Apache info about never putting logs in a
user-owned folder?

Only after we did this to solve an ftp downloading problem, and someone (I
think maybe you Steve) kindly pointed it out in a previous post.  But
thanks. We are now aware of this and plan to rectify it.

> The 'enable www checkbox is unchecked!
> ServerName www.client.co.uk

	In the "CPX method", ServerName is the domain (no www), and "enable
www" adds "ServerAlias www.client.co.uk".

OUCH.

We can't make the assumption that client.co.uk and www.client.co.uk point to
the same IP address.  Nor for that matter can we make the assumption that
these are the only two variants of a domain.  Nor can we assume that
sub-domains are on the same virtual host as each other.

If these assumptions are built into CPX then we have a problem Huston.

I suggest we think about this

1. Email and the web site may by chance share the same domain name but I
believe that CPX should treat them differently.

2. The web site side of things is in the real world like this

Level 1 --- the virtual server
Level 2 --------- the virtual host
Level 3 -------------------- the web site
Level 4 ----------------------------A domain that maps to the web site
Level 4 ----------------------------Another domain that maps to the web site
Level 3 -------------------- another web site (possibly but I don't think we
ever will)
Level 2 --------- another virtual host

Etc..

Am I right in thinking that CPX has an assumption hard-coded into it that
there are always one or two domains at level 4 and that if there is a second
one it is the other prefixed by www.  And that because we can make this
assumption we can use the domain name as a unique identifier for the virtual
host (two levels above it).

OUCH OUCH OUCH.

Bob